I knit so I don't kill people.

Thursday 24 January 2013

Vintage things and charity baking

I'm still sorting out my vintage dressmaking and knitting patterns and will share some of the best ones with you all eventually.
I love vintage clothing and it can be something of a distraction.  When I watch TV and films I'm too busy studying the clothes, accessories and even the interior design of the settings.

I recently watched Atonement again, a really sad story but what a fantastic film and I just love the wardrobe .
 

My favourite dress is this one, and I just love this colour green.  I may even have a crack at making this dress, do you think its too flash to attend ladies day at Chester Races.  A nice hat and shawl would cover my modesty until the apres race party.  I've got till May to get working on it.  
Another programme I've been revisiting lately is The House of Elliott  


This is a BBC drama production for television (1990 - 1994)  about a fashion house run by two sisters in the 1920's.  Like I say I'm watching it with one eye whilst sketching some of the fantastic clothes with the other.  I'm sure I miss most of the plot by watching TV this way.

Just a quick post tonight as I'm off to watch another of my favourite programmes, now this one I pay very close attention to and absorb all the information provided.  No it is not a period costume drama it's the The Great Comic Relief Bake Off .

I am an avid fan of the TV baking contest "The Great British Bake Off" where amateur bakers compete each week (usually 12 contestants) until only one is crowned "The Great British Amateur Baker".  This weeks series is a special featuring British celebrities whilst raising awareness for this year's Comic Relief* so it is extra special.  The usual judges are there to decide the winner, Mary Berry a cookery writer and broadcaster and Paul Hollywood a master baker/bread maker.  I love their double act good cop/bad cop method of judging and this is supported with the arbitration of TV presenters Sue and Mel.
 
*Comic Relief is a UK based charity who since it started in 1985 have been raising money to help people all over the world not just in the UK.  You can read about it here 
To help raise funds this year they have organised a pack so anybody can raise funds through having their own bake off or a bake sale.  As I already take my baking into work (that's if I can get it past my teenage boys guarding the door) I think I may try and encourage my co workers to all muck in and we can have a bake sale.  I'll test how they react tomorrow !




No comments:

Post a Comment